Tuesday, 1 February 2011

January and my Meals for the week

You know, the first couple of days in January I did some awesome blogging.  I was excited to get back into it and for several days in a row I posted.  I was on a roll.  And then my brother-in-law had his accident.  And so my blog kinda became an information hub about him and it felt weird to post about my every day {borrrring} life when he's in critical condition in the hospital (btw, I don't know if he was ever actually in CRITICAL condition, but it was critical to us).   During this time I'd get bursts of "Oh, I should write about this...." and then I felt as though I couldn't write about it because a lot of people who don't normally check my blog were checking it for updates on Gary and I wasn't sure I wanted random people reading about my random musings.  Well, I'm ready to get back into the swing of things and I'm hoping to post a lot more.  I've been doing some blog catching up today and it makes me feel REALLY guilty because I haven't posted on the kids blog in FOREVER and I do have this great idea for a post, but I'm too lazy to get my camera and download the pictures.  Maybe today.  Maybe.  No promises.

Now, before I get to the nitty gritty of it all here's the latest on GARY.  He's doing good.  He had more x-rays last week and he's healing like he's supposed to and so they've let him start getting into a wheel chair.  Gary does write on facebook occasionally so he would be the best source to look for for info.  Mine is usually a day late and a dollar short.  The Drs have told him that if all goes well he'll be moved into Raymond sometime this week.  My sister-in-law informed me this morning that the Ray-town hospital is currently full and they're keeping people in the ER.  So until a room clears up it looks like he'll be staying in Lethbridge.  Lisa seems to be doing better.  I haven't talked to her in a while so I can't tell you for sure how she's feeling etc, but you can call Kathie or her sister Janelle and they can fill you in there.  And that sums up the Gary portion of today post.

Now on to the mail event.  ME!  LOL.  Anyway, one of our family goals is to make a meal plan each week so that we 1) save money by not buying things we don't need and 2) so I know what to cook at the end of the day.  I have found that I'm a better organized person if I know what's for dinner that night.  So start watching for Meal Plan Monday to make it's way back.  And I'm also going to share any recipes that are my favorites.    We try to mix it all up at the dinner table.  We did have a long period of time where the sight of chicken in anything other than nugget form would bring tears to the faces of my children.  Since that time, we've (I've) decided that chicken has to be on the menu at least once a week.  We eat too much hamburger so we have to cut back on the hamburger meals and Wednesdays are insanely crazy at our house and so Wednesday has become crock pot day.  I love a good crock pot meal.

So here's the plan for the week

Monday:  Pizza Pay Day (My ultimate favorite time of the month....oh unless I'm stuck eating some Honey Ginger Chicken frozen dinner that has nasty carrots and nasty LIMA beans and nasty red peppers while my family chows down on pepperoni, bacon, and mushroom pizza. Then it's not my favorite day.  And I am not confirming or denying that I might have been a smidge grumpy and crabby.)

Tuesday:  Beef Dip.  I LOVE BEEF DIP.  I got this off my friends blog and it is totally FABU!!  I love it.  My kids love it....Mike likes it, and generally is still hungry after, but all in all it rates 4 very enthusiastic thumbs up.  I make mine with Swiss cheese on the top and it's SO tasty!!  I think we're going to finish up the carrots and the celery tonight as well. 

Wednesday:  {Crock Pot}  Annie's Chicken.  Funny enough, this comes from my friend's blog too.  It's DELISH and you can also make it with pork chops.  I've done it with both and both are excellent.

Thursday:  Hash.   Which is code for eggs, sausage, bacon, hash browns, mushrooms, onions and whatever else can be sauteed thrown all together and served with the topping of your choice....cheese, ketchup, or ranch dressing.  Or all 3 if you desire.

Friday:  Grilled Cheese and Top Ramen.  Self explanatory here. 

Saturday:  Spaghetti (fast Sunday)

Sunday:  Roast (duh)

It's not my fanciest week for meals, but the best part is I don't even pick them.  We sit down together Sunday night in between popcorn (mike and the kids) and jello (me) and the board games to figure out what everyone wants for dinner.  I don't even chose.  I tell them that I make it therefore I don't have to pick it. 

Now, I'm still looking for FANTASTIC recipes.  I love to try new things (as long as it's not super crazy).  I try to get dinner done within an hour.  Anything longer than that and I get annoyed.  So send your goods my way and if we like it, it will be re posted here!

ttys, L

2 comments:

Mikaela said...

Making a menu DEFINITELY does keep me on track, and it makes me aware of what I have in my pantry already. The Annie's chicken sounds yummy. I've done something similar, but I use onion soup mix, and I don't add the butter. My family loves it. It also makes a good base for Hawaiian haystacks.

Happy meal planning. I look forward to some more great ideas!

Mikaela said...

Oh, and I know I've mentioned it on my blog, but I am ABSOLUTELY in love with melskitchencafe.com Try their bourbon chicken recipe. You'll feel like you're eating at a restaurant! I kid you not!!