....a dangerous pastime
I know."
So I've been thinking of going back to school. But I wasn't sure what I wanted to go back to school for. I mean there's a lot that interests me in the world, but I doubt I could make a living by taking pictures, making quilts or any of the things that REALLY interest me. So when it comes to going back to school my options are few. I could update the degree I already have (office management), I could REALLY go back to school (like from scratch) and get a teaching degree of something or another, or I could just get any job that comes up here in town and spend more on day care then I would on anything else.
Now, I have this friend who graduated from HS a few years ago and she's hoping to go to school to be a MT (Medical Transcriptionist). There is no training for that in Lethbridge. You have to either go to Calgary or Edmonton or beyond. So that was out for me. But I was a little intrigued.
Then the other night I was reading our local paper and I always flip to the back first to see if anyone in Ray-Town is hiring (mainly at the school) and nope, no one is hiring, not even for a janitorial position. As I was about to put the paper down an add caught my eye. So I thought, what the heck. I typed in the web address and voila.....It took me to a school in BC that has MT. AND you can do it from home. Excellent. So I pulled Mike in. Showed him the goods (pricing etc) and he said..."find out more info and we'll talk about it"
Now the schooling in BC is a year program. The cost is about 5200. When I talked to my friend she said her program is 5000 not including books and it runs Sept - April with a practicum after that. So it's sounding pretty good to me. Then I called a woman in our ward who does dictation for the office she works for. We chatted for about a half an hour and she basically said to go for it (and that when she retires in a few years that she's going to do MT)
So I've gotten about 97% of my information. I'm feeling excited. This could be IT. This could be what I've waited for. Something I can do at home, so I'm here for the kids. I can decide how much or how little I want to work. Mike still doesn't think that it's going to be worth it. But I do. Money of my very own (well, I'll share some of it....maybe) Even if it was just 600 a month that's good for me. There are still some questions I need answered and I still need to do some serious praying to see if this is an ok thing to do and then I can begin. I'm looking to probably starting in the fall so I don't have to try to juggle the kids when I'm trying to do school work for the first time in 12 years. But we'll see.
I'll keep you posted.
L
3 comments:
The MT's that I met at the hospital when I did my clinical year said that they learned a whole lot about medicine doing transcription. And that they knew who they wanted to see and who they didn't after listening to the various providers. I hear it pays well-- as Erin about it-- I think she looked into it too.
wahooo!
I know two women, sisters and both stay-at-home moms, who are MT's. It worked out really well for them, but they had some help with the training tuition. I have thought about it, as well.
Post a Comment