Thursday, 24 February 2011

Wuthering Hei....zzzzzzzzzzzzz

I've had WH checked out from the library for 6 weeks.  I am currently on chapter 5 and cannot seem to read any more.  I have no interest.  All I've heard is what a classic this book is and what a great love Heathclif and Catherine had.  Ssssssnnnooooooorrrrreeee.  I cannot STAND books that take forever to get into.  Now I've finally gotten to the point where we're going back in time to tell the story.  But I can't even make myself read it.  I'm looking around my house thinking what else I can read instead.  I am going to finish this book.  But it's looking like it's going to be a chapter a day unless it starts getting good.  So before bed, to help the snore factor I'll read a chapter.  So my question out there is what makes a book a classic?  Why is this book a classic?  And why can't I understand Heathcliff's butler Joseph?  LOL.  I pretty much skip over him because I honestly have no idea what on earth he's saying.  It might as well be written in Portuguese.  I just had different thoughts for a Classic.  I thought a classic would be a book that I couldn't put down and just loved and raved about.  Like I said before, if you don't catch me in the first few pages I'll put the book away.  Now, there have been some books that I've really enjoyed that have started out slow.  Stephenie Meyer's The Host was one.  The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Pie Society was also like that.  But I ended up LOVING both of these books and found that they were forgiven their slow starts.  I'm pretty much happy if someone dies a gruesome death in the first few pages.  I like books with murder and mystery, mayhem, romance, police officers, ^FBI^, and other #government#agencies#.  And a book has to end happily ever after for me.  There's enough reality in life, the books I read will end happy.  In fact in the past few years I've found myself checking the back of the book after a few chapters if I'm afraid that things aren't going to turn out the way I want them to and if they don't the book goes right back to the library.  So I'm hoping that whichever Classic I pick next is better than this one or else the goal of reading classics this year is going to be an Epic Fail.

ps.  I'm on goodreads if anyone wants to see what I've read.  I'm always looking for someone to recommend a good book.

3 comments:

The Rose Family said...

Total flashback to AP English and Mr Schroeder! I had to read Moby Dick and let me tell you, I was calling Mr Mellville a few other things by the end of that one. UGH! Apparently, "classic" means that so few people have been able to get through the book that BBC finally had to make a movie for all the rest of us!

KrishasKrew said...

Have you read any of the "desert" titled mysteries by Josi Kilpack? I read Lemon Tart and I really liked it. My sister has read them all and said they are all good. If I remember correctly the body is discovered in the first chaper and the rest of the book is about solving it-but I read non-stop and I don't do that very often!

Lauren said...

Wuthering Heights AND Jane Eyre are not my favorite. I think the Bronte sisters may have been a bit crazy. I'd take Jane Austen any day.

For some reason this reminded me of The Thirteenth Tale. Read that one when you get a chance.