Wednesday, 27 August 2008

Gentle Reminder

Last night I had a gentle reminder of how thankful I SHOULD be for all that I have. I found out that a friend of mine is having major issues in her life. On the outside they appear to be the perfect family: beautiful, well behaved children, kind and devoted father, hard working, loving mother - a good LDS family. But all is not as it appears. She didn't get into details, but things are not "all quiet on the western front". Her life is in upheaval and yet she is still the same graceful, kind, soft spoken woman that I've always known and admired. But under the skin she's quietly suffering and going through trials that I can even begin to understand. It was a quick kick in the gut to realize that I didn't even notice. I mean yes, I did notice a bit. I knew that things were not as they should be. I've noticed her crying in the temple and solemn during times when she normally wouldn't be. But I didn't really think anything of it. I mean we all have our challenges and who was I to even try to guess what she is dealing with (ok, so in my head I did make a guess and I was WAY off, so that goes to prove that I'm a horrible judge of character.) But this woman has hid her griefs and her sorrows and has turned to the Lord and has done so with such grace and poise that I was amazed. She truly is an example of how we are all to be, but especially me. I am WAY too vocal about my opinion and I think I need to think before I speak and probably not say half of what I say to begin with (a few sighs of relief I'm hearing from you people.) But it was once again a subtle reminder that things are not always as they appear to be on Sundays and that even though things are tough at times in my life there are always - ALWAYS - people who have something bigger to struggle through. And that I should be grateful for my little problems and trials because I could be dealing with something far beyond my comprehension of difficult.

So, I am thankful today for my many MANY blessings. For a Father in Heaven who loves me and KNOWS me and still loves me even though I am the way that I am. He is patient as I slowly figure out who I am and as I even slower figure out where I want to be. I am thankful for an ELDER brother who bled and suffered for MY sins - that I have the opportunity to return and to LIVE with my family for ETERNITY. "Greater LOVE hath NO man" than my SAVIOR. I will forever be indebted to him. I am THANKFUL for a husband who loves me. Who is patient with my moods and outbursts and my many, many shortcomings. He is a WONDERFUL father and he loves the church and our family. I am thankful for his outpouring of support for me in all the things I set out to do. He truly is a patient man and I love him dearly. I am thankful for three beautiful CHILDREN who love me and think I am BEAUTIFUL. I realized this for the first time yesterday. They truly think I am BEAUTIFUL the way I am and my heart just melts with love for them. They inspire me and make me want to be the BEST mom I can, for them. THEY are what make our house a home and I love them dearly. I am thankful for KIND and LOVING PARENTS who taught and raised me right. I truly am born of GOODLY parents and I am thankful for all that they have taught me, that I in return am teaching MY children. I am thankful for BROTHERS and SISTERS. For the love I have for them, through THICK or THIN there is nowhere else I'd rather be than with family and finally, I am thankful for GOOD friends. I am truly blessed to have so many different friends who TOUCH and change my life every day. Most of them don't realize how much they truly INSPIRE me to be a better wife, mother, and daughter of God. I should let them know what they TRULY mean to me.

I have many other things which I am thankful for, but life is calling and I must answer. But know this: I KNOW that the CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS is the TRUE church on this earth. I KNOW my Heavenly Father knows and loves me and that my SAVIOR came and suffered for ME that I may return to HIM. I KNOW that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and Jesus in a grove of trees in upstate New York and that one moment in time has changed the history of the world and MILLIONS and MILLIONS of lives. I KNOW that Thomas S. Monson is the true and living prophet on the earth. And that we are blessed if we follow his teachings and counsel. I am thankful for my knowledge of these things and that I was taught these things as a child, at the knees of my parents.

And I want to thank YOU for being good friends and wonderful inspirations in MY life. I LOVE YOU!! ttyl, L

2 comments:

Papa Paradigm said...

What a beautiful testimony. Sometimes we need a gentle reminder to help us stay focused on the important things and remember why we are here. Thanks for reminding me.

Christal said...

Love this post {I'm sad for the person who is hurting} but love your testimony you are so awesome! we truely are so blessed aren't we. lots of good things to be thankful for! I love you too!! can't wait for things to start up so we can get out sarcastic groove on ha ha!!! ttys