Before I start today's post I have a question. Does looking through blogs and seeing how creative everyone is out there make you realize how uncreative you are and leave you pretty much thinking that you suck? Because that probably happens to me. I find looking through all the awesome blogs I follow depressing as it makes me realize what I can't do. I can't modge podge, I can't buy junk at good will and have it turn into something fabulous, I can't throw together 5 ingredients and have my family rave about a wonderful dinner, I don't have a super cute/crafty house (not only that, but they swear it only took 2 hours to do....it took me 6 hours and the other half of the project is sitting unfinished in my room), I can't make cupcakes, and I will say right now that I HATE all the people that post yummy food on their blogs that I can't eat. I mean for real. How does that cupcake lady stay so skinny? One more thing to discuss with God one day I guess. So this little rant is the beginning of something I'm vowing to change. No, I'm not going to bake cupcakes every day until they turn out just right. I'm going to stop following so many blogs. I currently follow 61 blogs. And I found a super cute one yesterday. And then as I was trying to catch up on months of inactivity of blogging I realized as each "cute" blog post came and went my self-esteem went lower and lower. So I've decided that I'm pretty much done.
Goal #1
(not in order of importance) I'm going to cut my blog following in half. And maybe in a few months I'll half it again.
Goal #2
(this is going to look familiar) I'm going to lose weight. I'd like to hit my goal weight this year (which after the weight I gained from Christmas etc is a lot) So I'm not sure if that's realistic, so the general goal is just to drop pounds. At least 20 this year. Hopefully 50, but we'll start with 20.
Goal #3
I want to make all our jam this year. We go through a lot of jam and I've decided that I want to try to make our own. I want to make Peach, Strawberry and Raspberry. I have no idea how much I'll have to make to supply our family, but I can't make jam until August/September so I'll count up jars until then and give it my best guess.
Goal #4
Have you guys seen the list that's been going around facebook and the internet of the top 100 books everyone should read? I've decided to read some of those books. It shames me to say that I LOVE Jane Austin and yet I've only seen her movies, I haven't read a single one of her books. And the only Charles Dickens book I read was in high school and I'm pretty sure I just bought the Cliff Notes version because I didn't have time to read it all (that would have been A Tale of Two Cities). So I've decided to read some worthwhile books this year. I'll keep you posted on the titles. I'd also like to say that I'd love to read one a month, but some months are crazy and that just won't happen. So we'll leave it vague. If you have any favorite classics, let me know and I'll try to squeeze them in.
Goal #5
I've decided that I want to try my hand at laying tile. {what the....} Oh yes my friends. I'm sure this never happens to any of you, but my husband (that I love) tends to have these GRAND ideas and he buys the stuff and then they sit there for years and years. Mike bought small 4x4 tile probably 3 years ago and told me that he'd tile around the counters and behind the sink in the kitchen. I'm pretty much tired of waiting. So I'm going to find the Dummies Guide to Tiling and do it myself. (this could be dangerous) But I want to give it a whirl and see if I'm good at it. And last, but not least
Goal #6
I've come to the painful realization that it could be YEARS before we build my dream house. And I have found that I've been so unhappy living in this house because my dream house was just around the corner and this was just the house where I miserably waited until MY HOUSE was built. It dawned on me the other day that THIS is the house that my children will remember growing up in. And I should stop treating it like a house and making it our HOME. So I'm going to paint and tile and put up vinyl and hang pictures and do whatever I want to do (with MUCH husband complaining I'm sure) to make our house a HOME. And those are the goals for this 2011. Tomorrow I'll let you know how I did with last years goals.
6 comments:
Goal 5- If I can do it. You can do it.
Not hard, just messy.... well messy when I do it at least!!
Do u mind passing along your list of books? That is also one of my goals is to read more, and I would love a good list!
Just be prepared to watch the movie of a tale of two cities when you're finished reading it. It can piece together pieces you missed in the reading.
Also, I never compare myself to other People on their blogs because honestly, I realize I'm not crafty. I realize I don't have a knack for decorating. I realize I need to work out! A friend recently posted on her blog a list of things she is currently doing, and I think I might do the same. That way I see what I can and do accomplish rather than being negative about what I don't Or can't do!
You could add to your list that you have some super cute, well-behaved kids because YOU have trained them that way. You're also a fun and loyal friend. You do a lot of good Missy! So don't ever sell yourself short!
Laura, LOVE the new blog look! How did you do it?! ;)
So I have a book recommendation for you: "Are You Ready!" by Bob Harper. Yes, Bob Harper from Biggest Loser. I am currently reading it and it is AWESOME! It doesn't just deal with weight loss but some other things as well. I think you might enjoy it as an informational read.
I've heard that tiling isn't really hard at all. But I've never tried, so good luck. I agree with the blogs... I just occasionally glance through the ones on Erin's sidebar and I've tried a few of those projects. Some make me feel awesome (ie- PJ pants for my whole fam for Christmas) and some make me feel retarded (ie- anything with cooking). I think you are awesome and do so much that I can't do-- so just keep goin'. Good luck with everything.
If you need some jars for your jam, I can give you a dozen if you want them. I also have a really good recipe for raspberry jam if you need one. It was my Mom's and I always get compliments on them...just ask Sharon : )
I also am not super crafty but I do find it inspiring that so many people are so talented. You're still you and people still love you even if you aren't crafty.
Post a Comment