So, I'm minding my own business, bebopping around facebook when I see a friend's post. She and her husband want to adopt a Haitian child. So she started researching and found that she is not eligible. Which is think is ridiculous. So she listed why they weren't applicable to adopt. She has biological children and she is younger than 35. She listed a few more items and I thought I'd share them with you. I was SHOCKED. So I Googled. And found some of the same results. So I don't know if it is the adoption agency or what. Anyway, here is what one adoption agency's standards for adoption are:
*Childless, heterosexual married couples between the ages of 35-50 are eligible to adopt {not us}
*Childless, single heterosexual women who are living alone and between the ages of 35-50, are also eligible to adopt {not us either}
*Length of marriage must be at least 10 years unless couple is infertile {look at that, we got one}
*Applicants who are between the ages 45 - 50 must be willing to accept a toddler {not us}
*One previous divorce is accepted {nope}
*Second marriages must be at least 10 years in length {nope}
*No more than 15 years age difference between husband and wife {whoo! our second one}
Get ready for this next one
*Preference is given to Christian and Jewish families; LDS families are not eligible for this program {I'm sorry, did they just say that? ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME!!!}
*Families may have no more than 2 adopted children under the age of 18 living in their home and no biological children
*U.S. citizens in all 50 states are eligible to adopt from this program.
I did look on the official Canadian PDF file on adoption and they had none of that religious rules in there. So I'm thinking it was just this adoption agency. But let me tell you what, what a joke. AS IF they could discriminate that way. Oh, and here is the website so you can check it out yourself. http://www.dillonadopt.com/Haiti-A.htm#Family_Requirements_
Now, Mike and I aren't looking to currently adopt, but I can't deny that in my heart of hearts I did think about it. But I guess not from this agency. LOL. What a joke.
4 comments:
That's so crazy! I guess all in all, they're trying to do the best for the kids. I wonder if people are willing to adopt right now because they see the devistation and then when the novelty of adoption wears off, that people will resent or regret their decision. Like they haven't really thought about it, and thus they want couples who don't have their own children. Just a thought since the agency can't defend itself. But come on! If people are willing to take kiddos in, let them have them. I was DYING at the LDS comment. Since when are we NOT Christians?! Interesting!!
Wow, I wonder if the LDS exclusion is based on prejudice or because we have our own adoption services. Maybe both.
what a load of crap eh!! what a sick world we live in eh!!
i just wrote eh twice seriously you'd think I was canadian or something!
Post a Comment