Friday, 11 September 2009
WHAT was I thinking?
Well folks, I think I might have for sure stepped in it this time. Up to it clear to my belly button for sure. Holy crow people. So here's the deal. I've been on the Parent Advisory Counsel for 2 years now. {hurrah} So by the end of last year I was pretty burned out. The PAC is a bit different than the PTA for all of you Americans. The PAC is about 7 women who are involved with the school and the principal. We spear head all of the activities at the school, we run the lice checks, we help with school picture day, we dish out food on sports day for grades 1-3 and then for the 4-6's a week later. We have been fund-raising for a big toy for the k-2nd graders and last year took on 2 big fundraisers not to mention asking people in the town for donations and asking the town itself for donations. So at the end of school last year I was looking for something low key. I had even thought of quitting because even though some of the year is very quiet and we don't do much, there are times where I swear I live at the school. And with all the pies I have my fingers in I was just getting burned out. Well I thought hard all through the summer and my burnt out feelings seemed to ease as I spent the summer doing nothing but my church calling. Then school started. And here I sat with Abbie. Just the two of us. I thought "Wow, this is SO easy" I can keep my house cleaner and have time read and exercise and whatever else I felt like I needed to do. I felt as though I could take on the world. So then my mind started heading towards PAC. I could totally be president. Totally. Piece of cake. After all, this year won't be anything like last year. Last year was brutal. This year should be a piece of cake. Well, I started having second thoughts this week. Wondering if maybe I should just keep my mouth shut. But then I started thinking "Hmmm, I want to work at the school one day. If I'm president of the PAC it might make my chances of being hired at the school easier. Not to mention being on a first name basis with the principal and a lot of teachers is a good thing." So today was the day. We had our first meeting of the year. And as we sat there Mr. Hogg said it's time to pick positions for next year. And my mouth just opened and said "I'll do it, if Tammy will be my VP" Let's just be polite and say that it all went down hill from there. And since I've been home today {AND had a choreography meeting for show choir today too} it's beginning to set in and I'm starting to panic. I haven't been the president of ANYTHING since I was Laurel class president 15 years ago. That's right people, I said 15 years ago. I'm a bit rusty. I might have been the secretary last year, but our president didn't use her "staff" that much so I didn't get a lot of experience(I AM SO USING EVERY ONE - I'm too scared not too. lol.) So it's all hitting me and I feel like I've stepped in it. That things are slightly off kilter. That things are just slightly out of reach. Thankfully everyone on the board is AMAZING. And even though I'm still feeling like this was a mistake, if I can make it through the weekend I just might be able to do this job. {eeeeeeekkkkkk!!! why did I do this??!!} And I won't even tell you what Mike said. Pahahahah....heaven help me. {make sure you pay attention to the music. The first song, which should still be playing, is the song/theme of the post.}
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment