Thursday, 11 October 2007

Yee Haw!!

I am so excited!! My busy life has just gotten busier. But I'm thrilled about it!! First let me update you on what I've done this week. Tuesday I went to the school and several of us from the parent board painted or repainted I should say the hopscotch, 4 square and basketball lines all over the playground (which wasn't that bad. I think there were 5 hopscotch, 2 basketball, and 6 or so 4 square) It took 2 hours and it was kind of fun. It was just nice to paint. I'm not the world's best painter, but it was fun to put my own mark on the school. :) Yesterday, again as part of the parent board, we had a lice check. There are 4 or 5 a year. I was pretty grossed out and wasn't overly thrilled at being asked to do it, but it only took 2 hours to check the kindergarten-2nd graders. It was quite enlightening to check for lice. And I'm glad that I did it because I'll now know how to check for lice in my own kids hair. And I'm pleased to announce that the kindergarten-2nd grade is free from lice. :) Now if they could stay that way the whole year we'll be laughing. Since the school is "new" (they just redid the whole school and added on more rooms etc) they haven't quite finished it. All the kids are supposed to have cubbies in the hallway where they put their backpack and their coats, mitts, hats, and coats. But they haven't put the cubbies up yet. So instead of doing what I grew up doing (having your backpack on your chair etc) they have all the kids pile their stuff in the hallways (which is delightful to try to navigate through). So how hard is it going to be for lice to jump from one coat or hat to another when they're all piled up on the floor? Not hard. So it's nasty to think about, but it's one of those things that the school is hours from being done and they just quit. So we'll see what happens at the next parent board meeting which is next week. Anywho. So that was yesterday and Tuesday. This morning I got a call from a sister in my ward who does work with the Raymond Show Choir. This is a group of high school aged kids that put on 2 shows a year (Christmas and Spring) and they sing and dance and they travel and compete and stuff like that. They're good kids and it's a lot of fun. They do a lot of fun songs and the kids just have a great time. Mike actually did this in high school and although he won't admit it, he really enjoyed himself. I'm hoping all my kids will want to participate. But anyway, she asked me if I would be interested in helping her do choreography for a couple of songs!! I am so excited! It's something I've had my eye on doing (believe you me, the dancing leaves a lot to be desired as do some of the lame-o hand movements that past choreographers have done) I'm not expecting myself to do miracles, but I have had 8 years of dancing experience (tap and jazz and 1 year of ballet and drill team etc etc). I always wanted to do it, but I wasn't quite sure how to "break" into the program. I'm not from here, I have no "pull" or "know" the right people. I'm sure they'd take any volunteer, but then I'd be at the front doors passing out the programs. I always thought that I'd have lots of time to get into it because my kids are still young. But she called me this morning out of the blue and asked me to help! I don't even know how she knew that I was interested, but I am so excited. Now is a great time for me to help. She just told me a little bit about one song that we'd be doing and it's a chorus line. I was born in a chorus line. So I'm so excited. I've had all these ideas and then I have to stop myself and remind myself that most of these people have never had a real dance class so I can't make it too hard or complex for them. But a chorus line, how hard is that. Knee kick, knee kick, ripple bow, knee kick, kick, kick, kick, bow, bow, ripple bow. Anyway. So I'm meeting with her tomorrow morning and we're going to just discuss whatever it is that she wants and then starting next week we're meeting every Wednesday night. Everything has to be ready to go by Nov. 1. So I am so excited!! Mike is so not going to be excited! But I'm SO EXCITED!! So wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey rosie!! That is wonderful!!! I know exactly what you mean!!! I am so excited for you - you will LOVE this! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That will be really fun. I'm surprised, though, that you don't think you have connections in Raymond. Aren't you a QUINTON? :)