Tuesday, 19 June 2007

Pardon me Roy,

While we were at Costco today I was checking out the CD's (hoping for a new Country Now! CD to be out) and you know how they have the machine there that plays several different selections of CD's in hopes that you'll buy them? Well, they had one that was full of big band music and as we walked passed it belted out the Chattanooga Choo Choo and out of nowhere I was transported back to being at home. My older brother, Pard, used to play in a band and they played all sorts of music and I can remember them playing Pennsylvania 6500. That was fun. Now I don't know if they ever played the Chattanooga Choo Choo, but I can distinctly remember someone singing "Pardon me Roy, is that the cat that ate your new shoes" Which for all of you know don't know, those aren't the words to the song, but they fit just perfect. So here I am in Costco walking around with that stupid line in my head. And it's been in my head for hours. That one stupid line. But isn't it funny how music really can transport us to a certain place in time? Maybe that's one of the reasons why they want us to play hymns more in our homes. But anyway. So it was fun today, to step back home for a brief moment. I just wish my children were old enough that I could share it with them. (and they'd get it). And speaking of children. Aaron has a talk on Sunday. So we'll start working on it tomorrow. I've got it all printed out and ready to go. He just needs to memorize it and I need to put it on card stock. But I'm sure he'll do great. Since usually we start working on it Saturday morning and he always does a great job. So I'm sure that starting tomorrow will give us lots of time. Anyway, ttyl. l

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Weird lyricks to songs is a favorite family activity at our house. This one made me laugh out loud! Thanks for the giggle and the new song to sing. All. Day. Long.

Anonymous said...

The song you were singing was actually the punch line of a joke. "Pardon me Roy....is that the cat that ate your new shoes??"
I think thats funny you remember that! Yeah for AAron giving a talk on Sunday - So is Aunt Ashley!

Anonymous said...

Don't know where you're from, but in Detroit deejay Dick Purtan had a song parody of "Pardon Me, Roy" years ago.