Thursday, 16 September 2010

?Questions?

Aaron plays the piano and he's been playing for 2 years. Lately he's been crying and complaining saying that he doesn't want to play the piano anymore. I find him skipping over his teacher's instructions and only doing the "easy" stuff. I pay a lot of money for his piano lessons. Playing the piano is important to me. It's something that I enjoy and wish that I was better at. I have known a lot of people, including siblings, that wished they would have kept playing the piano. So at what point, if at all, do I give into his request and let him quit piano lessons or do I tell him that it's too darn bad and he's playing whether he likes it or not?

one of my favorite pianists: Danny Wright

5 comments:

Nicole P. said...

Tell him he can quit when he reaches a certain age or grade or level of piano. My parents told me I could quit taking lessons when I could play 5 hymns perfectly. By the time I got to that point I was willing to practice, and it was easy for me. If you let him quit too early, he'll probably end up regretting it.

Karlene said...

i was the same way...but my mom didn't give me the choice and we fought hard...my dad would always get mad and say it's not worth it...and i did quit at 15...and i regret it everyday. to this day i have forgotten everything....and i played for YEARS. so i'm not really sure what to tell ya lol

Tyler and Kristin Smith said...

What kind of stuff is he playing?
I've got some opinions, but they are too lengthy and hard to explain here on lovely Mr. Commenter.
maybe you should call me?
(not like I'm an expert or anything...)

Stacy Wilson said...

I like Nicole's idea of being able to quit at a certain level. That may even encourage him to practice more. If he has to wait to something he can't control ie: age, grade. He will continue to complain and do it half hearted never really learning and absorbing just passing time. If you make him reach a level, then if he whines that he doesn't want to play anymore the ball is in his court.

The Rose Family said...

My mom said that we could quit when she could open the hymn book to any page and we could play that hymn. By those standards, I still can't quit (though I'm getting close!). I remember that when I wanted to quit was right about the time my good friend Jana and I met and she could play REALLY well. It became a matter of pride for me to continue. Also, as far as being aguy that can play, Jack plays all the time at church and I think people are amazed taht he can. And he's a fighter pilot!