Friday, 24 June 2011

Hot Town, Summer in the City

Summer is finally here.  The kids are FINALLY out of school.  Let the good times roll.  I'm excited for this summer because I have a whole lot of nothing planned.  I want to read and go to the pool and that's about it.  My parents are coming up next week for the 1st of July and Ky's baptism.  Then dad's heading home and Mom's staying for Wicked and then we're heading up to Edmonton to have a small family vacation.  Then she's going home and we have swimming lessons, junior lifeguard club, the library club and maybe more swimming lessons in August if they pass their class in July.  We have a weekend or two at the lake planned and we'll hopefully end the summer by celebrating my grandmother's 75th birthday in Utah over the September long.  If the weather will cooperate this has the potential to be a good summer!! 

I will try my best to do better blogging through the summer.  I tend to forget to blog.  Oops.  But occasionally little fun things happen.  Like last night, I went to my FIRST Scentsy party and walked away with a warmer and 3 fragrances that will hopefully make my house smell all summery.  Deee-lightful!!  I also went out for a friend's birthday a few weeks ago and had my first experience at Red Lobster AND Ikea!!  That was a dream.  Mike hates Ikea and swears to never go.  We'll be going.  I just don't know when.  But I bought curtain holders for my kids' bedrooms and we've got blackout curtains on and they're fabulous.  Except for the brown pair I bought at ShopKo.  "Blocks 99% of light."  Uh....right.  Pretty much, they don't.  But we'll figure it out.  The down side to blackout curtains?  The windows have to be shut and it gets wicked hot.  But right now I'll deal with the wicked hot.  Bring on the heat!!

With the heat and nicer weather have come the mosquitos.  NOT FUN.   My kids all look like they have the chicken pox.  The town did not spray this year until AFTER school got out and so the kids got eaten alive at school.  And as much as I wanted to send bug spray to school I refuse because it would have been gone in 2 days and that stuff is expensive.  So they've suffered...poor kids.  But every time we step outside we get dipped into the off and by the end of the day my house reeks (hence the new scentsy warmer).  Ky got a bite last weekend under her eye and it looked like she took her face to my elbow by the time we got to church.  All I could think was "she better not get anymore on her face until AFTER her baptism"  I had several people jokingly tell me to stop beating my children.  Ha-ha.  I don't find that funny.  Because for real, if I were to beat my kids, why would I go for their face?  Hee hee {silence....crickets chirruping...cough} 

So, I'm also hoping to go see Cars 2 this summer with the kids, once it hits the cheap theater, and hopefully Mom and I will get to take in Harry Potter while we're in Edmonton.  Whoo-hooo.  And I saw a preview for the newest Muppet movie and it comes out at Thanksgiving.  The kids LOVE the Muppets (as do I) and so that might be our Christmas movie this year if Disney doesn't come out with anything else. 

On the weight loss front I'm here to tell you that I stink at it.  I'm back at trying to get back down to where I was last summer and it seems to be 3x harder and taking 3x longer.  I wish I never would have quit last summer.  ARG!  So I'll occasionally post about it and I'll be needing good feedback. :D

And I think that's about it for now.  Today is our first full day of no school and I've officially called it PJ day.  So we're hanging out in our pjs until tomorrow morning {who am I kidding, afternoon at least}  I'm thrilled.  I've got a bit of laundry going (the last loads from yesterday), some dishes to wash, ribs to cook for dinner, laundry to fold, shirts to iron and a book to read and maybe just maybe a few episodes of Grey's season 4.  It's going to be a great day!!

Song of the Day:  Summer in the City - definitely a summer favorite

3 comments:

The Robson Clan said...

Love it! HOpefully we will meet up at the pool someday! & hopefully we can sit outside and visit someday without being EATEN....soooo when should we get together to do sticky buns???? do you need anything for the baptism day? So excited to attend 2 baptism back to back for my primary kids!

Jennifer Schindler Yanos said...

Laura-I have decided that I was your inspiration for doing your blog today and that makes me very happy! I want you to know that yours is the first blog that I have read, and I'm not nearly so frightened to start mine now! Love you and hope that your summer goes as planned!

Cricket and Pomegranate said...

We just saw Cars2-- Mr J really liked it, but Fiona cried for the second half, so I can't really comment on that. We are at the stage where we go to movies for our kids, but they don't always realize that they should sit still and appreciate it. :)
Sounds like a great summer planned-- how did PJ day go?