On the Show Choir front all of the songs have been taught now we just have to get them to remember everything. I yelled at the kids yesterday and said some things that I probably shouldn't have said. So now I have guilt. It's such a struggle for me to be with the show choir kids. One part of me loves them. I love being with the youth and having fun. Another part of me hates them for how selfish and self centered they are. Don't they realize the sacrifices I'm making to be with them?! No they don't, and some of them could care less if they ever saw me again. And that pretty much is a two way street. But I hate it when I say stuff and then feel bad about it later. Why can't I just be a nice person and all the things that come out of my mouth be butterflies and rainbows instead of dog poo and bee stings? Something to work on I guess. When it comes down to it my thoughts about show choir are this: Show Choir is a lot of work. We're not there to be social and to have fun. That is not our main goal. Our goal is to teach uplifting songs and dance. To create a place where kids can feel safe and valued. But it is work. Hard work. And until you learn what we're trying to teach you it will continue to be hard work. Is show choir fun? Yes. Performing the show is fun. Going on trip is a blast, but you cannot have "fun" until the work is over. But we have kids that come and think that show choir has to be "fun" all the time. And so they're goofing off and being obnoxious and then they get their feelers hurt when I finally get sick of the other leaders not taking charge and I blow up and start yelling. Which, I will admit, makes ME feel a whole lot better {for about 30 minutes and then I feel bad because I might have hurt some feelers}. Some days I just want to turn in the towel and just be a normal mom. I don't need the stress, I don't need the anxiety, I don't need butt-faced kids being brats and thinking that they don't have to listen or obey and that the rules don't apply to them. Let me tell you this....I am not blind, I can see your cell phone. I am not stupid, I know you have it tucked away in your pocket waiting for me to turn my back and I am not deaf. I can hear you talking about me. It just kills me that kids think I'm dumb. And what kills me even more are the leaders that tell me the kids aren't doing it on purpose. They're not being devious. Rrrrright. And you wonder why show choir is a gong show. I just love {sarcasm here peeps} that the leaders always look for the best in the kids. "Oh, she's not doing that on purpose. Their brains aren't attached. Once they're teens their brains are disconnected. Wait until you have teenagers" I can promise you that if my kids act like some of those show choir kids they'll be grounded all summer long. I wasn't born yesterday and I'm closer to these kids in age then the leaders. I don't believe any of it.
*disclaimer: there are just under 60 kids in show choir. The ones giving me the headache and the stress are numbers wise 10 or less. So the whole show choir isn't a joke, just a few. Most of the show choir kids are wonderful and delightful and I love them to pieces.
Anyway, taking about it just makes me annoyed and angry and I'm not in the mood to even think about it right now because I'll be with them in 5 hours and will enjoy their sunny dispositions and wonderful attitudes for another 6. Remind me again why I do this....without pay?
In the good news department I was reading my friends blog today and she had picture of the kid that stood up after conference right in front of the camera and pulled a face. Honestly I can remember thinking "what an idiot" as I saw him. For real. But they've come out with these posters and it made my day to read them. So here are my favorites and here is the site to see the rest.




3 comments:
I love that you posted more than one of those posters. I thought the EXACT same thing when I saw that. But then I thought: better that then that guy a couple years ago that yelled "we love you president hinkley" loud enough for the whole conference center to hear and those watching it on t.v. At least the boy wasn't picking his nose or doing something completely inappropriate. He gave the world a smile and that's better than what some give : )
This sounds so cliche, but keep your chin up and things will get better with show choir. Maybe next year you can teach our clogging class?! At least the adults wouldn't be so rude like the teenagers. It really surprises me at the behavior at some teens. If I talked bad about my teachers, it was out of school not in school. And I HATE HATE HATE cell phones! I really think they should be banned from schools. Why do kids NEED them in the schools? Shouldn't they be paying attention to their teachers? It drives me up the wall to see kids with cell phones and using them as a social thing (ie. there is such a thing as cell phone ettiquette)
We are looking forward to coming to the dress rehersal. I'm sorry that things are kinda stressful for you right now.
I did Show Choir through Jr high and for Frosh year at YCHS and I agree-- it was RETARDED the kids that thought the world revolved around them. I remember thinking it when I was a kid in the Choir. Also, the reasons that you listed are why I quit volunteering to help with youth activities. Too many cell phones and other leaders who couldn't care less. Ugh- I feel your pain. Have you tried talking to the trouble makers one-on-one outside of practice and away from their cronies?? I found that worked at youth activities. Maybe???
The OTHER leaders are the once with their brains detached from their bodies!! They are SO oblivious about everything. Obviously - as a Show Choir alumni - I know that the kids are doing it on purpose. They are just trying to get a rise out of you. And it's always successful. ;) But I always preferred you yelling at ALL us for a couple minutes than Jolene singling people out - do you remember that? - or Sue lecturing us on the uses of.. Whatever. Once we got a lecture on alcohol. And might I just point out that Bronwyn's "Inspirational Posters" do nothing for it either? They're a joke. No one cares about them. Brutal,right? Truth. Maybe I'll bring my girls to Raymond tomorrow afternoon and we'll watch some choreo. Assuming there is some.. Anyways. I still love you, even after 3 years of Show Choir! You don't hurt feelers, just make everyone realize - for a split second - how dumb they're being. Text me sometime? Kloveyoubye.
Post a Comment