Friday, 20 April 2007

A couple of things today. What a random and wild world we live in. This morning I was sitting on the couch, watching for the bus, listening to Paul Harvey like I do every morning at 7:35. When suddenly my ears perk up. He's talking about Virginia Tech and then starts naming all of these High Schools across the states that have had problems since the shootings with kids and guns etc. When lo and behold he mentions the name of my old High School. That's right, Yuba City High School (and surrounding High Schools) were in lock down Thursday morning. They finally released the kids at 12:45 and school was cancelled on Friday. Now to some you may think, what Laura, you graduated from high school 10 years ago (holy cow I'm getting old), what's the big deal. Well, I still have 2 sisters in high school. I guess an old student of the school's told his preacher that he was going to shoot up the school and make the Virginia Tech schools look like child's play. Panic. Pandelerium. (obviously can't spell this word right, and I can't even find it on spell checker. So use your imagination) Panic (in case I didn't mention this before). I mean helllo. This was Friday morning I'm hearing about this, from Paul Harvey of all people. Why the heck didn't my mother call me and let me know about this - "Drama, drama, drama". So I get on the internet and sure enough, my mother had sent out emails. I was just too busy on Thursday to check my mail. So, whew, I felt better for about 2 minutes while I read the emails. Then my brain just went into overload. What kind of world am I raising my children in? What kind of Gong show is this, and who the heck is running it? I mean, 10 years ago, all I worried about was who the mcnasty was in the hallway who was making out in front of my locker. Sure, there were drugs at school and then there was the one incident where I was cornered in the home EC hall by a guy who I thought was a friend of mine - friend term used loosely here- and let's just say it wasn't his gun that was digging into my hip. But I got away from that experience with nothing more than feeling grossed out and having one less "friend". But I never worried about people bringing guns to school or even knives for that matter. Although -side note here- I was totally worried as a freshman about the gangs at our school. I was totally paranoid that I was going to be beat up for wearing red or blue. LOL. Anyway, back on track. So it worries me that my children, heck, my sisters for this matter, have to go to school worrying about the boy/girl in the back of the class, who is decked out in goth apparel and wondering if he's packing heat. I just makes me sick. And the sad thing is, it's only going to get worse. (Now, for some of you who are wondering what the heck can go wrong in a school the size of my graduating class that is 90% LDS, there was a school shooting in Taber (45 minutes away) back in 1999 or 2000 and there were casualties. So we do have to worry about it) So it's like a wake up call. A helpless wake up call. A small part of me is glad my high school days are done. Now, on to brighter topics. Hockey. Just to catch everyone up. Detroit & Calgary have tied their series 2-2. They play in Detroit tomorrow afternoon and then back in Calgary on Sunday. Now game 5 is very important. 80% of teams who win round 5 win the series. So this is big. But Calgary can't seem to win in Detroit. But they just won 2 in a row in Calgary and so maybe they can keep the momentum going. Game 6 is Sunday night (bummer). Anaheim & Minnesota. The might ducks have won this series 4-1 moving easily into the next round, which obviously won't start until all the games are done. So they get a good rest for about a week to 10 days. Vancouver & Dallas. Vancouver is leading the series 3-2. They play again tomorrow. Nashville & San Jose. San Jose won the series 4-1. Eastern Conference: Buffalo & New York Islanders. Buffalo won the series 4-1. New Jersey & Tampa Bay. Jersey is leading the series 3-2, their next game is Sunday. Brodeur (goalie - and Canadian) had his 22nd playoff shut out tonight. He's one away from the record. Go Devils Go! Atlanta & New York Rangers. New York destroyed the Thrashers winning the series 4-0. Their last game had a horrible 7-0 score. Yikes. Atlanta was in the playoffs because.... Ottawa & Pittsburg. Ottawa cleaned up rather nicely. So we're mainly waiting on the Western Conference to clean up so we can get this show on the road. I have faith that the devil's will take it on Sunday. But alas, I've been wrong before. So I hope you've enjoyed the updates. The games have been fun to watch. I love playoffs because hockey is on every night at 5 p.m. and on Saturdays and Sundays the games start at 1p.m. (not that we watch the games on Sunday, but that's just an informational purposes comment). And one more thing that I love about this game just hit me tonight as I was watching the New Jersey game. In what other male team sport do you hug the guy (and bonk heads and fists and anything else) when you score a goal. It's funny to watch these big, tough hockey guys get pumped and hug after a goal. It's kind of sweet in a weird way. I just couldn't see a bunch of baseball players hugging after a home run or the basketball team taking a moment for a group hug. On the other hand, I don't think if you slapped a hockey players butt that he'd feel it. Too much padding. So they have to hug I guess. LOL. Anyway, it's late and I'm rambling. I'll write again on monday and keep everyone posted. I know you're on the edge of your seats. ttyl, L Oh and on a personal note, I bought the next size smaller jeans today. Whoo Hoo. I only bought one pair (could only afford one pair) so they're my "I'm going out jeans" So thankfully I don't go out much. :) Have a good weekend.

No comments: