Wednesday, 17 August 2011

A question, a couple comments and a {tiny} rude remark

Question:
Since when do we give teachers back to school presents?  I always figured a Christmas gift was nice, IF I found the time and that an end of the year something-or-other was more than generous.  But all over in the blog world I'm seeing "Back to School Gifts" and I'm just shaking my head.  For Real?  I think we're over gifting.  Because I'm pretty sure I don't give my husband's boss or co-workers gifts for doing their job, so why would I give my children's teachers something?  Because I'm pretty sure it's their {well paid} job to teach my sweet child, and I'm pretty sure they get the WHOLE summer off, and I'm pretty sure I stock their classroom with enough glue, crayons and pencils {and anything else they think they need} to last at least a year if not 5.  Ridiculous.  Last year I gave each of the teachers a HUGE bottle of hand sanitizer.  Because I heard my daughter's teacher the year before complaining that she had to buy hand sanitizer for her class {blah blah, whine, whine}  So that's what we're "giving" this year. 

{tiny} Rude Remark:
Years and years and years ago I used to sell Avon.  And about 1 year ago I stopped selling Discovery Toys.  Now every time I had someone place an order I made sure that I packed my kids and their stuff up in my car and drove into town to drop it off.  Because I figured if they took the time and money to order something from me that I would be kind and considerate and take their stuff to their door. 

I bought some home sold items a few weeks ago and have recently gotten the email that it has come in.  I patiently waited for the woman to ask where I lived so that she could drop it off.  Yeah, that never came.  So finally I messaged her and asked about it and she basically told me that she doesn't know where I live so I need to come to her to get it....{cough....awkward silence.....lone cricket chirruping}  REALLY?!!  I bought from you.  You give the courtesy of dropping it off at my house.  Because that's the way it works.  And I won't mention here that I have no idea where she lives, but apparently it's easier for me to drive into town and find her house than it is for her to drive out of town and find me.  The best part is, this happens quite a bit.  And I'm starting to get a little sick of it.  Yeah, I live out of town.  But for the love of grace, it's 5-10 minutes, not an hour.  I also find this happens when we invite friends over.  I'm "expected" to come into town and pick them up, the drive them back home when we're done.  Right.  Because I don't spend enough time in the car.  Am I way off base with this?  Is this just the norm now?  Oi-vay everybody. 

4 comments:

The Robson Clan said...

100% with ya babe! I think the whole back to school gifting thing is re-don-cu-lous!!!!! I think a thankyou gift at the end of the year is enough...especially since there are some people who cant afford to buy random gifts. Are they any worse of a person because they make a homemade thankyou card? I think not! As for the part of delivery of your sales....again I agree, that is part of their job! My mom sold avon my WHOLE life and we did door to door sales and deliveries...any good sales-person knows delivery is part of the deal! I would totally bring Shelby out & pick her up if Abbie ever wants her over! just let me know!

Mandy said...

I have never done back to school gifts. That's lame-o! Why do they need a gift to be back at school? I think WE'RE the ones who need a gift for sending our precious little children to them...not the other way around...lol. I usually try to do an end of the year gift but I missed it last year. Whatever...I'm sure the teacher wasn't crying about it.

I do think it's good sales-manship to deliver. Some people, like me, don't mind picking their stuff up. Why? Because then I can go and get it in my own time and I'm not the one waiting around for someone to show up at my door. If I'm going out it's easier to pick it up while I'm already out. I'm kind of flexible that way but I think as a salesperson, they need to ask you what delivery method you prefer. If I was as busy as you are, I would for sure want a delivery at my house and not have to pick up. Anyways, to each their own. I feel your frustration.

Christal said...

love it!! I always love reading your thoughts and you are 100% right! I thought the same thing with the brown nosing back to school gifts since when I saved a bunch for ideas for christmas and end of the year ideas but seriously is right!

Dawn said...

Just for the record: I deliver to all the customers that buy from me=)
AND I'm right with you on the present thing...on a good year I give Christmas presents...sometimes=) When I have enough time to make them and I like the teachers, lol. But then, I'm alot meaner than you;)