Yesterday for the first time, I finally felt like 2nd ward was home. It came as a bit of a shock. It's not that I don't like 2nd ward, it's just different. And being hidden away in Primary makes it all that much harder because I don't get to know the sisters. And maybe I had a little grudge about being in the Primary. Here are the changes that made the difference:
The past 2 weeks (well, before yesterday) we were at the lake for church. In my primary class each week I challenge the kids to do something for someone else during the week. So we have had grandmas, grandpas, teachers at school, strangers, siblings, moms, dads, etc. And while I was gone one of my subs had the kids write thank you notes to me. I do believe that was the changing point of my primary attitude. I have made a difference with these kids and they seem to like me. Fabulous. Maybe in 5 years I'll see them in show choir. So after being gone for 2 weeks I found myself excited to be in primary. Happy to see the presidency, happy to sit during singing time and sharing time and just enjoying being there.
We also had our first Bishopric outing this weekend too. Saturday we all went hiking in West Glacier (and I promise I'll do a separate post on this). But it was fun to sit and feel apart of a group, to be included. To share jokes (that may or may not have inappropriately passed through my mind during the sacrament, and may or may not have brought a huge smile to my face {and that's a big deal. I don't find a lot to smile about on Sundays....I hope it's a sign of things to come}
Yesterday was high council Sunday {more affectionately known as Dry Council Sunday}, and low and behold I'm sitting in my row minding my own business, writing down some stuff when someone comes and touches me on the shoulder....It's a member of the 5th ward! I was so surprised to see him and so glad. I felt that illegal smile cross my face again and he truly brightened the meeting. Even though we weren't good friends in 5th ward, he was an old bishop and it was nice to see a familiar face. He told me that he missed "the Quintons" and had to come visit (he was the high councilor). He asked how we were doing and I said we were doing great....and for the first time I realized that I meant it. That somehow over the past 2 weeks I went from feeling like a visitor to feeling as though I belonged.
And the final thing that made me realize that I'm "home" was that I saw 2 friends that I hadn't seen in a while. And to realize that I have friends, good friends in 2nd ward just made the pieces all click together.
And it's amazing how a change in attitude can change everything. For the first time in a long time I'm looking forward to teaching my little class on Sunday. I'm looking forward to the adult bbq on Friday and I'm looking forward to making more friends and to feeling at home.
So even though it's been 3.5 months....give or take a week or two, it's nice to have prayers answered. Prayers I didn't even know I was saying. Isn't it nice to have a prayer answered by a Father who truly knows the thoughts and intents of our hearts? Yes, yes it is.
2 comments:
Yay! I'm so happy for you. I don't know why, but I got a little teary-eyed. Maybe it's because we ALL want to belong, and it's nice when we feel like we finally do. I'm glad you're over that hurdle. It's a tough one for sure!
I love this post! and thanks for the note on facebook I feel the same way! We just need to get together more often eh! and a girls night sounds awesome!
I love that attitude makes all the difference I honestly wish I felt that comfortable in 6th ward it feels stagnant like nothing exciting and I wish we could do something fun and get people to get excited and move on!! I love this post!!! You are awesome!!
Post a Comment