Thursday, 21 July 2011

Wicked...and some thoughts

Last week we FINALLY went to WICKED!!  Yay!!  It was a great day.  We left around 12:30 and drove up to Calgary.  We checked in to our hotel and relaxed for a bit and then met up with more friends and ate at Olive Garden.  Which was fabulous. 

Mom ordered appetizers and I ordered a portobello mushroom ravioli and it was to die for.  We split our orders and shared with each other and it was fabu.  Mom ordered the stuffed mushrooms and the artichoke spinach dip and it was my favorite by far.  Then after we were pleasantly stuffed we headed back to the hotel and dressed up for the show. 

Now, I'm not a huge theater buff, but I've seen my share of plays and musicals and operas etc.  So Mom and I were both SHOCKED at how casual everyone was for Wicked.  When I saw it in San Francisco we sat on the floor and across the isle from us were several people in formal wear (tuxes, the works).  You also saw a lot of "church" clothes and formal business wear.  You saw very few people in jeans and if you did, they were mostly teenagers who hadn't been taught that you dress up for things like this.  In Calgary....Mom and I were in our Sunday clothes and we were probably only a few who were.  Maybe 10%  Everyone else was in jeans or capris or clothes you'd wear to the mall or just hanging out at the house.  All I can say is that I was planning on dressing up REALLY nice and I'm glad I only wore "church" clothes.  Dressing up for the theater is part of the experience of going.  But I guess in CowTown that blue jeans is considered dressing up.  But it was a little disappointing. 

The show was fabulous.  It was awesome to see it again, but I think I had more fun watching the reactions of all the people who hadn't seen it before.  You could hear them gasp or laugh or cry and it was just like seeing it again for the first time.  I'm looking forward to seeing it a 3rd time next spring in CA.  And am tempted to see it next summer in Salt Lake City....but I think Mike will probably put his foot down on that one. 

After the show we went back to our hotel and went right to bed.  I woke up at 6:30 a.m. and couldn't go back to sleep.  We did our thing in the morning and Mike came around 11:15 and we went to Edmonton.  I TOOK NO PICTURES  of our family vacation and I'm sad.  But I truly did forget my camera every day.  Sigh.  Oh well.  We had a good time at the West Ed Mall and a great time at the water park.  My chiropractor is going to be happy to see me in a few weeks.  I wake up every morning with my back aching.  Stupid wave pool.  LOL.  We left every day with red eyes and water in our ears and exhausted.  On a great note...they have Red Robin in Edmonton and we ate there the first night.  It was fabulous.  I haven't eaten at RR since I graduated in high school back in 19something-something.   It was delightful.  The other 2 days we were too wiped from the pool to do anything but get take out. 
Wendy's and Pizza Hut.  Then we drove home, dropped my mom off at the airport and then came home to a hot house and a million and one things to do.  But it was a great week!!


Family vacation next year?!  At the Lake with my family!  Can't wait!!

1 comment:

The Robson Clan said...

ummm I think that you should totally plan on going in SLC and of course let me know when & we can girls trip it! I even have places we could stay! plus I've never seen it but would LOOOOVE to!